This feature has several use cases, including:
- Independent applications (known as "microfrontends" in microfrontend architecture) to share modules without the need to recompile the entire application.
- Distributed teams to work on different parts of the same application without the need to recompile the entire application.
- Dynamic code loading and sharing between applications during runtime
Rspack supports two versions of Module Federation: Module Federation 1.0 and Module Federation 1.5.
- Module Federation 1.0 is the current implementation of ModuleFederationPlugin in Webpack.
- Module Federation 1.5, among other things, adds runtime plugin functionality to 1.0, allowing for the extension of Module Federation's behavior, functionality, and providing control inversion to users.
Detailed configuration can be found in: